Welcome to Mrs. Otto’s K-1 Class!
St. Mary's School is a Christ-Centered School where all enter to learn and exit to serve
2016-2017 Kindergarten and First Grade Class
How to Read With a Beginning Reader
15-20 minutes spent reading is plenty for young readers!
- Encourage your child to use their finger to point to each word
- Read a sentence and have your child repeat it
- Take turns reading a sentence or page each
- Talk about the story as you read it
- What will happen next?
- What does the story remind you of?
- How does the character feel?
- Don’t be be afraid to read the same book again; repetition builds fluency
- Start the book by making predictions
- Ask questions during the reading process
- After reading, have your child tell you the events from the story in order
- What was the problem during the story?
- How did the character feel when…?
- Encourage your child to make connections by noting similarities to other
8:05-8:10 "We're here..." whole school announcements and prayer
8:10-8:25 Morning "responsibilities": hand in folders, hang up backpacks, sign in, Daily Question, book baskets, morning work, etc.
8:25-8:40 Morning meeting (morning message, calendar, songs, Bible time)
8:30 - Mass on Friday
8:40-9:40 Shared reading and writing, Literacy/Daily 5
9:45 - 10:15 Library F
11:00 -11:20 Handwriting/ D5
11:25-12:30 Lunch and recess
12:30-12:50 Rest (drinks/bathroom) story time, journal writing
12:50 -1:20 Social Studies, Science, Health, Art
1:20 -1:40 Religion
1:40-2:10 Centers/writing Computer/tech TH,F
2:10 - 2:40 PE - M, T, W Music - TH, F
2:45-3:00 Afternoon Wrap Up: review, stories, songs, pack up, prayer
3:00 Dismissal "Off we go..."
Vocabulary: activities, cooperate
Words to know: the
Concept Words: size words
Comprehension: identify setting
Comprehension - sequence
Spelling Words: No spelling words for this short week